Home Water fund Village of New Paris approves $ 540,000 Hutton Street project

Village of New Paris approves $ 540,000 Hutton Street project

1
0

NEW PARIS – The village council voted to go ahead with a $ 540,000 construction project and passed an ordinance regulating “little houses” at its regular monthly meeting on Monday July 12th.

Susan Laux, from Greenville-based civil engineering firm Mote & Associates, briefed the board on ongoing infrastructure improvement projects. Council approved a $ 540,000 spending plan to replace curbs, sidewalks and storm sewers on Hutton Street, as well as install new eight-inch water pipes and repaving portions of the roadway and storm drains. stabilize with concrete.

Funds from the Ohio Public Works Commission (OPWC) will cover 84% of the project, according to Laux, with the village to raise the remaining 16%, or about $ 86,400.

Laux also informed the council that the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) plans to repavage a two-block section of SR 121 in 2023. The road was previously scheduled to be repaved in 2025.

“They admit they missed it last time around and it was their fault,” Laux said. “They screwed up. I think it was worth contacting them and getting them out. At least we got some improvement in the schedule, ”which City Councilor Ralph Dungan agreed to.

“We have won two years,” he said.

Also during the meeting, Mayor Kathy Smallwood suggested passing an ordinance regulating “little houses” in the village at the June 7th council meeting. Under the proposed ordinance, a mini-house would be defined as a towable recreational vehicle covering an area of ​​500 square feet or less, built on a single frame and designed for use as a permanent single-family dwelling.

No additional storage buildings would be allowed, and a skirt or shrubs would have to be installed within 30 days to cover the wheels, trailer hitch and undercarriage of the vehicle. In addition, the owner of the property on which the vehicle resides would be responsible for installing water lines and utilities, and providing landscaping and mowing services.

“It all comes from the commitments we signed when we agreed to let them in in the first place,” Smallwood said at the meeting. “We’re not changing anything, we’re just putting it in our zoning so we can apply it if we need to.”

Cedar Springs Tiny Village was established in 2017, according to village officials.

Council also voted to halt a monthly transfer of $ 9,000 from the village general fund to the New Paris Police Department operating fund, with Mayor Smallwood saying the department was “overfunded” due to understaffing.

“The General Fund needs more money than the police,” Smallwood said, although she said the transfer could be easily resumed once a new hire is made.

Meetings of the new Paris City Council are held on the first Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the New Paris City Building, located at 301 W. Cherry St.

The New Paris village council voted to go ahead with a $ 540,000 construction project and passed an ordinance regulating “little houses” at its regular monthly meeting on Monday, July 12.

Contact Anthony Baker at 937-683-4057 or on Facebook @mproperenglish

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here